The Little Prince is a classic children’s book by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, a French writer, poet, and aviator. The book tells the story of a young boy who leaves his home planet and travels to different worlds, meeting various characters and learning valuable lessons. The book is full of wisdom, humor, and charm and has been translated into more than 300 languages and dialects. In today’s article, we will be looking at some amazing The Little Prince quotes.
These 15 Little Prince quotes can teach us how to live a meaningful and magical life. All of these quotes will inspire you to look beyond the surface, appreciate the simple things, and love with all your heart.
- “Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction,”
Love is not about being obsessed with each other but about sharing a common vision or goal. It means that love is not about being selfish but about being supportive and cooperative. Love is not about being isolated but about being connected and engaged.
- “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
Taming is the process of creating bonds and relationships with others. It is not about domesticating or controlling, but about understanding and caring. When you tame someone or something, you make them special and unique to you. You also make yourself special and unique to them. But taming also comes with responsibility. You have to protect, respect, and cherish what you have tamed. You have to be faithful and loyal to them. You have to be ready to face the joy and the pain of loving and losing them.
- “Of course I’ll hurt you. Of course you’ll hurt me. Of course we will hurt each other. But this is the very condition of existence. To become spring, means accepting the risk of winter. To become presence, means accepting the risk of absence.”
Love and life are always accompanied by pain and loss. It means that we cannot avoid hurting or being hurt by the ones we love, because that is the nature of existence. It means that we have to accept the risk of suffering and separation to enjoy the beauty of growth and connection. This is the most meaningful quote out of The Little Prince quotes.
- “A rock pile ceases to be a rock the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.”
Imagination can create beauty and wonder out of the ordinary and the mundane. Imagination can make the impossible possible.
- “Perfection is attained, not when no more can be added, but when no more can be removed.”
This quote means that perfection is not about adding more things or features, but about removing the unnecessary or redundant ones. It means that simplicity and clarity are the signs of perfection, not complexity or confusion. It means that less is more and that quality is better than quantity.
6. “It is more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others. If you succeed in judging yourself rightly, then you indeed are a man of true wisdom.”
We should be honest and humble about our strengths and weaknesses, rather than being harsh and biased towards others. It means that self-evaluation is harder but more rewarding than criticizing others. It means that true wisdom comes from knowing and improving ourselves, not from judging and blaming others.
7. “What makes a desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.”
Even in the most barren and challenging situations, there is always a hidden source of sustenance. The quote encourages us to look beyond challenges like the desert and seek wells of beauty, wisdom, and opportunity in our lives.
8. “I have lived a great deal amongst grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasn’t improved my opinion of them.”
This quote by the narrator of The Little Prince means that he has had a lot of experience and observation of grown-ups and that he has not been impressed or satisfied by them. The quote implies that grown-ups are not as wise, kind, or interesting as they think they are and that they have many flaws and shortcomings. The novel’s narrator suggests that he prefers the company of children who are innocent, honest, and imaginative.
9. “But the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart.”
This quote is from the chapter where the little prince meets a snake and learns the secret of a heart. The snake tells him that the eyes are blind because they only see the appearance and surface of things. They do not see the essence of the reality of things. They don’t see the invisible and the eternal. To see rightly, one must look with the heart. The heart is an organ of vision that perceives the truth and beauty of things. The heart is a source of love and wisdom. It is the key to understanding and appreciating the world and ourselves.
10. “No one is satisfied where he is.”
People are always restless and unhappy with their current situation. It means that people want something different or better than what they have. It means that people are never content or grateful for what they have.
11. Words are the source of misunderstandings.”
Words can sometimes cause confusion and conflict because they can be interpreted differently by different people. It means that words are not enough or accurate to convey the true meaning and intention of the speaker or the writer. Words can be misleading or deceptive because they can be used to lie or manipulate. It means that words are not the only or best way to communicate because there are other forms of expression, such as gestures, actions, and feelings.
12. “It is such a mysterious place, the land of tears.”
Tears are more than just water coming out of our eyes when we are sad; they represent a mysterious and complicated part of our feelings and experiences. This is one of the most deeply impacting The Little Prince quotes as well.
13. “If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.”
This quote is saying that if you love a flower on a star, it’s nice to look at the sky at night. In the dark sky, all the stars seem like a beautiful garden of flowers. It’s about finding beauty in the distant and unreachable and appreciating the wonders around us.
14. “Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy ready-made things in the shops. But since there are no shops where you can buy friends, men no longer have any friends.”
People are too busy and distracted by material things to pay attention to the things that really matter, such as friendships and relationships. It means that people have lost their sense of curiosity and wonder and have become superficial and indifferent. It means that people have forgotten how to make friends and have become lonely and isolated.
15. “Well, I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies.”
Sometimes we have to tolerate some inconveniences or annoyances in order to enjoy the benefits or pleasures of something else. It means that we have to accept the bad with the good and the ugly with the beautiful. It means that we have to be patient and open-minded and not judge things by their appearance.
The Little Prince is a timeless and universal book that can touch and transform anyone who reads it. It is a book that teaches us how to live a meaningful and magical life by following our hearts, loving deeply, and seeing beyond the surface. It is a book that reminds us of the child within us and of the wonder and joy of life. We hope that these 15 The Little Prince quotes have inspired and uplifted you.