Jack Roosevelt Robinson was the first black American athlete to play Major League Baseball in the 20th century. He was part of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962. Along with pursuing baseball as a profession, he was the civil activist who played an essential role in building Freedom National Park and was awarded by Presidential Medal of Freedom. In this blog, we have picked up 15 inspirational quotes by Jackie Robinson to give you the confidence of being yourself no matter how tricky the situation is.
1. “I’m not concerned with your liking or disliking me… All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.
2. ”The most luxurious possession, the richest treasure anybody has, is his personal dignity.”
3. “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.”
4. “No matter how much or how little I knew technically, I was able to get the best out of people I worked with.”
5. “In my opinion, baseball is as big a business as anything there is. It has to be a business, the way it is conducted.”
6. “We are demanding that we just be given the things that are rightfully ours and that we’re not looking for anything else.”
7. “During my life, I have had a few nightmares which happened to me while I was wide awake.”
8. “We have a social responsibility and we are held to a higher standard than other institutions.”
9. “I do not believe that every person, in every walk of life, can succeed in spite of any handicap. That would be perfection.”
10. “Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he’s losing; nobody wants you to quit when you’re ahead.”
11. “I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag. I know that I am a black man in a white world.”
12. “Discover the truth of today and perhaps find the greatness of tomorrow.”
13. “We’re in a real crisis situation where many times people are being turned away at the door.”
14. “The right of every American to first-class citizenship is the most important issue of our time.”
15. “If I had been white with the things I did, they never would have allowed me to get out of baseball.”
Despite coming from a humble and middle-class background, Robinson learned to make his own way through different phases of life. He broke the ‘color barrier in the modern era of sports. His contribution as a civil activist and a baseball player is an inspiration for every youth of today’s generation. We hope you enjoyed reading the aforementioned quotes by Jackie Robinson.